Friday, September 10, 2010

Lair of the Shadowbroker

I will keep this post pretty much spoiler free (unless you haven't played Mass Effect 2 at all, then you might be screwed- sorry!).

I just finished my first playthrough of the ME2 DLC, Lair of the Shadowbroker. So far, I am pretty impressed. A halfway decent boss battle, and a good addition to the ME2 story. But we all know the reason I actually played it- Liara. or, to be more specific- to continue my relationship with Liara that I started in ME2. I have played ME2 3-4 times right now- and in almost all of those games I had a romance with Liara, and then chose to not cheat on her through the second game, hoping it would pay off. And it DID. Of course, I did one playthrough where I romanced Thane, only because I wanted the damn romance achievement. Now I can't remember which character that is, and I am sort of afraid to play Lair of the Shadowbroker with that character- I am sure it will not be a happy/puppy/rainbow ending.

But I digress- Lair of the Shadowbroker was 800 microsoft points, but it was worth it. You get a tone of stuff, about 2 hours of gameplay on casual, and it is a good bridge between ME2 and ME3 (I am assuming).

I had started a new game, thinking that Lair of the Shadowbroker was supposed to take place in the middle of the game. You can play it that way, but then I went on the bioware forums. Apparently the developers assumed most people have already played the game, and a lot of dialog changes if you play it after you have already beaten the game. I plan on doing that with one of my previous characters just to see the dialog changes. But really, all I cared about was the storytelling. They sure do know how to pack an emotional punch into this game- and the DLC is no exception. There are some hilariously funny lines, showing the developers have a good sense of humor about themselves and the game. I approve.

Geek On.

No comments: