Thursday, December 9, 2010

Playing As The Bad Guy

In the past few weeks I discovered something about myself, in terms of gaming. It's something I knew deep down in the back of my head, but never fully acknowledged.

I enjoy playing as the good guy.

That in itself isn't a revelation. I mean, who doesn't love being the hero? Who doesn't love sweeping in and saving the day? But with games nowadays, there is more then one way to win the day. And that does not always mean being the good guy. In fact, sometimes it means being a downright bastard.

The games I play the most- the Mass Effect series, the Fable series, and the Dragon Age series- you can win the game multiple ways. You can be a true paragon, or an evil renegade bastard. Sometimes there are even achievements for playing as the bastard. Now, this doesn't mean you are evil. Far from it- sometimes it just means that you are playing as an "ends justify the means" sort of character.

I sat down to play through Dragon Age: Origins again, and as I flipped through the achievements, I realized that I had about 3-4 I needed to get. The consisted of being a total bastard though- killing the Dalish elves, killing off the mages, and pouring blood on the ashes of a holy figure. The last one would be especially hard, as my current romance, Leliana, would attack me and leave the party if I did that. Thinking about actually doing any of these just gave me the willies. In the end, I ended up saving just before I had to make the decision, played as a bastard, got the achievement, then immeadiately reloaded and played as the good guy. This required about twice the amount of time, but in the end I felt better.

So with all the choices that games have to offer, why do I hate playing as a renegade? I am unsure, but I know some of my friends just revel in being a bastard online. I can't seem to do it. I also have an aversion to romancing more then one character. This is especially true in Dragon Age: Origins, where you get an achievement for romancing all the characters. I flat out refuse to do it. First of all- it takes most of the game to get to that point, so it's not a short 10 minute segment. You have to put actual thought and time into it- and end up really caring about the relationship. These three series are some of the few where I can play as a female character- and gives me the option of romancing another female. I see this so little in my real life- including other video games and tv shows/movies, that romancing someone else almost feels like cheating. I like my romances with Liara, Leliana, and whatever random female villiager I can connect with in the game. I don't like the game tempting me with other romance options just for the sake of 10 achievement points.

I guess in the end I just enjoy being the Lesbian Hero.

Geek On.

No comments: