Friday, October 16, 2009

Butch Label

So, I have been thinking a lot about my identity and being butch. It's a label that I carry proudly, although it took a long time for me to be comfortable in that. It's a label that I make sure people know I use, for a few reasons. After a few incidents over the past few years, I realized I need to be proud of it. I didn't have the luxury of being gray about it because people would just start chipping away at me. Like "why don't you wear just a little bit of lipstick, just a little bit of eyeshadow...maybe some slightly more feminine sneakers. Now add a purse and grow your hair a little longer." A constant chipping away. It sucks to have to explain constantly to my colleagues and straight friends that no, i don't even want to wear women's jeans.

Geek On.

No comments: